Pharmacy Assistants work under the direct supervision of a registered pharmacist and perform many pharmacy-related functions. They refer any questions regarding prescriptions, drug information, or health matters to a pharmacist. Technicians review prescriptions or requests for refills that they receive from patients and nurse.
Pharmacy Assistants should demonstrate strong customer service and teamwork skills because they interact with patients, co-workers, and health care professionals. They should have good mathematics, spelling, reading skills and knowledge about the medical terminologies. Pharmacy Assistants should be alert, observant, organised, dedicated, and responsible. They should be willing and able to take directions, but be able to work independently without constant instruction. They must be precise.
- Understand the principles and fundamentals of pharmacology and their application
- Receive prescription from pharmacist and verify that information is complete
- Record and select the correct medicines for dispensing
- Establish or maintain patient profile, including lists of medications taken by individual patients
- EManage and maintain the drugs supply and order
- Dispense medications according to the prescription
- Maintain proper storage and security condition for drugs
- Manage inventory of medicines and equipments
- Maintain a safe, healthy, and secure working Environment